| This article uses Creative Commons licensed content from revision 830839377 of Wikipedia's Island (visual novel) article.
The list of authors can be seen in the page history there.
Urashima, an island far from the mainland. The people who live there lead carefree lives. But five years ago, the island's three great families suffered a series of misfortunes, and succumbed to suspicion. The people of the island cut off all contact with the mainland, and began a slow decline. The key to saving the island lies in three girls who belong to the three families. But they are bound by old traditions, and are conflicted. On that island, a lone man washes ashore. The man claims to be from the future, and he begins a solitary struggle to change the island's fate.
Island is a romance visual novel in which the player assumes the role of Setsuna Sanzenkai. Much of its gameplay is spent on reading the story's narrative and dialogue. The text in the game is accompanied by character sprites, which represent who Setsuna is talking to, over background art. Throughout the game, the player encounters CG artwork at certain points in the story, which take the place of the background art and character sprites. The game follows a branching plot line with multiple endings, and depending on the decisions that the player makes during the game, the plot will progress in a specific direction.
There are three main plot lines that the player will have the chance to experience, one for each heroine. Throughout gameplay, the player is given multiple options to choose from, and text progression pauses at these points until a choice is made. Some decisions can lead the game to end prematurely, which offer an alternative ending to the plot. To view all plot lines in their entirety, the player will have to replay the game multiple times and choose different choices to further the plot to an alternate direction.
Main Characters Edit
- Setsuna Sanzenkai (三千界 切那, Sanzenkai Setsuna)
- Rinne Ohara (御原 凛音, Ohara Rinne): voiced by Yukari Tamura;
- Sara Garandou (伽藍堂 紗羅, Garandou Sara): voiced by Rie Murakawa;
- Karen Kurutsu (枢都 夏蓮, Kurutsu Karen): voiced by Kana Asumi;
- Kuon Ohara (御原 玖音, Ohara Kuon): voiced by Rina Satō;
- Taro Harisu (播守 太郎, Harisu Tarō): voiced by Takamasa Mogi;
- Moritsugu Kurutsu (枢都 守継, Kurutsu Moritsugu): voiced by Mitsuru Ogata;
- Subaru Kurutsu (枢都 守春, Kurutsu Subaru) : voiced by Kengo Kawanishi;
- Kenji Morisu (森須 賢治, Morisu Kenji): voiced by Shinya Fukumatsu;
- Momoka Yamabuki (山吹 桃香, Yamabuki Momoka): voiced by Ai Kakuma;
- Mei Tandori (反取 芽衣, Tandori Mei): voiced by Yui Nakajima;
- An Hatoma (鳩間 杏, Hatoma An): voiced by Tomoyo Takayanagi;
- Emiri Sunada (砂田 笑里, Sunada Emiri): voiced by Takako Tanaka.
Development and Release Edit
Developed by the visual novel studio Front Wing, Island was produced by Ryuichiro Yamakawa, with G.O. writing the scenario. The art direction and character design was provided by Yōsai Kūchū. Background art is provided by Magnum and Cre-p. The game's music was composed by Hijiri Anze. Rated for all ages, the development staff classifies the game as a "momentary and eternal fairy tale" (せつなとえいえんのおとぎばなし, setsuna to eien no otogibanashi). Prototype released the game for Windows on 28 April 2016 and for PlayStation Vita on 23 February 2017. An Android version was originally scheduled for release in 2016. Front Wing announced in December 2015 that they were considering an overseas release for the game.
Main article: ISLAND Original Soundtrack
The game has three pieces of theme music: one opening theme and two ending themes. The opening theme is "Traveler's tale" sung by Riya of Eufonius. The first ending theme is "Present" (プレゼント, Purezento) sung by Chata, and the second ending theme is "Kimi ga Ita" (きみがいた, Kimi ga Ita) also by Eufonius.
NyaroMelon and Frontwing also published a two-chapter four-panel comic strip manga crossover with NyaroMelon's Berlin wa Kane manga, titled Island x Berlin wa Kane (『ISLAND』×『ベルリンは鐘』, ISLAND × Berurin wa Kane), on Akita Shoten's Champion Tappu! website between 7 and 21 April 2016.
Main article: Island (anime)
In March 2016, Front Wing announced that the game would be adapted into an anime television series. Front Wing confirmed during their Anime Expo panel that the anime will premiere in 2018 to coincide with the English release of the visual novel. The anime will be directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi at Feel. Series composition will be handled by Naruhisa Arakawa, music will be handled by Akiyuki Tateyama, and characters will be designed by Kousuke Kawamura.
Promotional Arts Edit
- ↑ Story | Island
- ↑ Frontwing, Prototype's Island Game Slated for 2016 on PC, PS Vita, Android
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Product | Island
- ↑ PS Vita Island | Spec
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 ISLAND Visual Novel by Grisaia's Frontwing Gets TV Anime
- ↑ Frontwing Considers Overseas Release for Island Visual Novel
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 ISLAND Visual Novel Gets Manga Adaptation
- ↑ Island x Berlin wa Kane on Champion Tappu!
- ↑ ISLAND Visual Novel's TV Anime, English Release Revealed for 2018
- ↑ ISLAND Visual Novel's TV Anime Confirms Returning Cast